Millions of Americans are suffering from lack of sleep, or falling to sleep. Here is some advice to help you start a good night sleep. Following the principles every night helps you manage a peaceful sleep and wake up rested.
What are some alternative ways to manage insomnia?
• Don’t watch television before bed, or while trying to fall asleep.
• Don’t eat right before going to bed; have a light snack if you are hungry.
• Sleep in a dark and quiet room at a cool temperature; try using a fan or other machine that will provide white noise to help you fall asleep.
• Try relaxation techniques while lying in a bed
• Reflect on attitudes and belief about sleep
• Avoid taking long afternoon naps
• Keep a sleep log
• Get up at a consistent time and go to bed at a consistent time.
• If you find that you cannot fall asleep within 30 minutes, try reading or another quiet activity until you become sleepy
• Exercise each day, but not before bedtime
• Limit or eliminate alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, especially within four hours of bedtime
• Get into a bedtime routine in preparing for bedtime
• Wear something comfortable to bed
To seek further help call Valencia Medical Center at 661-222-9117.